Meatballs

I was ordering lunch on the road and one of the choices was a meatball sub. I wanted to eat something a little healthier than that, but I asked the kid behind the counter:

“Are meatballs fruit?”

The kid was thinking about it! He didn’t even crack a smile. Then he said, “I don’t think so.”

Believe it or not, I ordered a salad that had a scoop of tuna and a few pieces of chicken.

Cost me $11.

And as I was eating it I was thinking:

“I’m eating f****ng salad!”

I threw my meatball question on Facebook and I got a lot of comments, including one from a college roommate who’d recalled that my Dad used to stuff meatballs with eggs, salami and provolone.

My buddy Pops chimed in and mentioned that he was tearing up thinking of it. Poor Pops got booted a time or two, but my Dad loved him and especially loved feeding him.

After Pops comment, I started thinking of my Dad’s best dishes.

I had a tumor in my neck (benign) when I was 18 years old. I had it removed and was on a liquid diet for a few days.

By day 3, I was starving, but I couldn’t swallow. Dad offered to make me something, but I was irritable and kind of snapped at him.

“I can’t swallow!”

Dad left.

A half hour later he came to the side of the couch and placed a dish of linguini and clam sauce on the table.

“I know you can’t eat, but I’ll leave that there in case.”

It was gone 5 minutes later.

Turns out I could swallow!

Dad was an amazing cook. I recalled so many unbelievable meals, and Pops wasn’t the only guy with tears in his eyes.

I miss him!

I miss his marinara!!

I still can’t believe I ate salad for lunch.

Dad woulda’ scolded me.

“Bah! Eat some meat!!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie