Every Day

Got a great friend who, with his beautiful wife and son, makes the most out of every single day.

They are always doing something fun, somewhere with someone!

I get tired looking at their social media feed.

And through the years I’ve become something of a home body, but I certainly share Gag’s enthusiasm  for life.

My body has cost me a bit of my sense of adventure, and my beautiful wife also has trouble moving around as she has a bad knee, and spends a lot of her day on her feet.

So, we rest a bit.

Yet, if at all possible...

...we find time to stay upbeat about our ride on the planet.

The boys bring energy too, and there isn’t a whole lot of angst or angry words. We have spirited conversations and encouraging texts throughout each day...

...and that’s half the battle!

We also spend time shocked by people who live their lives mad or depressed or just plain nasty.

Years and years and years ago I was on a bus coming back from a basketball game and I saw a man, who some considered the town drunk, stumbling down the sidewalk in the late afternoon.

I was about 12 years old.

I recall thinking:

“He got one life and that’s what he’s doing with it!”

Now, that’s simplistic. I know that now. Life takes a tragic toll and that man was sick, and found no help, but deep down the ‘one life’ thought has always haunted me.

I keep this running total going on in my head where I consider:

“If today is my last day, did I live a life I wanted to live?”

I have, for the most part.

We all make mistakes. We all have to change plans on the fly, but ‘Do the right thing’, was beat into me by the nuns and governs my days.

Has life been fun for you?

Are you where you want to be despite what happened along the way?

Do you live your days, or do your days work you?

About ten years ago, I went to a job and met a man for the first time. The man was just plain mean! After shaking my hand he went into a tirade about everything he hated and showed me and another guy that life was a miserable experience in his presence.

My first words to him?

“Did someone piss on your corn flakes?”

He glared at me.

“Lighten up, Francis. Life is better when you smile!”

He threw me out of his office.

I think of him from time-to-time.

He’s probably somewhere counting the days when he can get off the planet.

That sucks.

Go Gag’s!!

Have some fun, people!

Life is short...

...and you only get one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie