“I’m in Buffalo-Freaking-New York”

I went to the zoo on Tuesday.

It wasn’t a stroll around the joint looking at the animals, but rather a job inspection. Sadly, I’ve never actually taken a trip to the zoo to enjoy the experience. As a kid, we just didn’t make the trip in, and as a parent, my wife and my in-laws took the boys.

So, I skated.

Yet, I’ve been to a few zoos since because of work.

I parked my car a long way from the entrance gate because there was a bathroom right there. As I walked around the place, I looked around.

A Buffalo was right up against the fence, looks at me.

“What’s up, dude?”

The animal was massive. He didn’t stop looking at me.

I kept walking.

The giraffe was out. I met up with the job superintendent.

“How long are their necks?” I asked.

“10-12 feet at least,” he said.

I watched the giraffe move around the relatively small enclosure.

He kinda’ looked miserable.

“At least Donald Jr. isn’t chasing him with a rifle,” the Super said.

Yet, next were the zebras.

“You think that zebra wakes up and thinks, “How the hell did I wind up in Buffalo-freaking-New York?” I asked.

“Crazy, right? Hey, take your hardhat off. Zebras are kind of skittish. They run at the fence and break their necks when they get startled.”

I laughed.

“No, I’m serious. It’s happened!”

Right at the entrance to the Project was the enclosure for the rhinos.

“Where is he?” I asked.

“In the water. He never gets out.”

I caught a glimpse of the massive animal.

“Holy smokes.”

“Yeah, humongous. I’d live like that if I could. Eat, sleep, hang out in the pool. Just need a few beers.”

I looked at him.

“What?”

“Something wrong with you.”

He laughed.

“Are you enjoying your zoo experience?” I asked.

As I said it a Mom and three young children ambled up to the rhino space.

“Oh my God!” The six or seven year old kid screamed. “He was pointing at the rhino who didn’t seem to care.

“Buffalo-f***ing New York.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie