Fake News

Years ago, I was interviewed for ‘Counting On A Miracle’.

I spoke to the reporter a few times and before the story came out he verified everything that was in it by sending me a copy to look at.

It was all good.

Except I blew one detail. I got one of the doctor names wrong.

The story came out and it looked terrific. I sent the reporter a thank-you email and he immediately responded, asking me about the name of the doc that I’d misidentified.

I apologized profusely, and I could tell that the reporter was more than mildly annoyed.

“We pride ourselves on getting it right,” he said.

I think of that when I hear someone say “Fake News.”

I also thought of it when I heard Trump call the press, “The enemy of the people.”

Then a CNN reporter was verbally assaulted at one of the rallies.

Then a Trump disciple, Milo-something-or-other doubled down on the “enemy of the people” line and said that he couldn’t wait for reporters to be gunned down.

On Thursday, reporters were gunned down in Maryland.

One of the things that I learned as a parent was that the kids would play off of my mood. If I was anxious and angry...

...they would be too.

That’s not an original thought.

Leaders are paid to lead and they set the tone.

We may never know what was in the heart and mind of the shooter. He could simply just be another former responsible gun owner.

Or maybe he felt as if he were serving a leader.

It’s just too much.

The tone seriously needs to change. We can’t survive with this much anger, or rage.

The message of America is no longer clear.

The waters have been muddied.

The press is the enemy of the people?

The justice system is corrupt?

Up is down and down is up...

...and there are people lined up taking the messages of hate and bringing them to the streets of our once beautiful country.

We’re paying a hefty price, but when you nurture hate...

...you usually do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie