The Puddle

We were only in Manhattan for about 20 hours, but as per usual we saw plenty.

We were smart about choosing our hotel room, just a few blocks from the theatre. Kathy’s knee was barking, and despite getting a Massage the night before we left, my hip was making noise too.

So, our walking was kept to a minimum.

I was a few steps ahead of Kathy as we headed to dinner. I saw a man standing, facing the building, and suddenly a puddle began to form at his feet. I barely missed walking in it.

“Is that filthy pig pissing?” Kathy called out.

The man turned and was just a foot or two away from me...

...he wasn’t a homeless dude.

He was a young, white, professional, and was holding a huge cell phone to his ear. He must have heard Kathy call him a filthy pig, but he was laughing about it.

“Who would just pee like that?” Kathy asked. “There were 100 people around him.”

I certainly wouldn’t, but what can you do?

As always, I am struck by the diversity of New York. For those who believe that one day soon we won’t have any immigrants here...

...well, look around NYC sometime.

Asians, Muslims, Black, White, Red...

...all walking side-by-side.

We had been looking forward to the Italian food and thankfully I was able to get a reservation for 5 at Daniela Trattoria.

It was good. It’s always fun sitting across from one of my siblings as pasta is being consumed, and it’s a little known secret, but John actually eats more than most of us.

(He just works out to stay slim).

Lunatic.

We also stopped by a couple of shops, including the Yankees Clubhouse ($40 for a hat, $1,100 for a signed photo of Aaron Judge - didn’t buy anything).

My niece and her friend were interested in a huge store that sells make-up. We all went in. John and I stood off to one side as the women shopped.

(Kathy didn’t buy anything, but used all the samples to make herself up).

“Could you imagine what a nightmare I’d be as a woman?” I asked. “I wouldn’t  know what to do with all this stuff.”

“I’d imagine that your biggest nightmare as a woman would be all the people wondering when the baby is due.”

(Funny. My brother is funny).

So, we didn’t walk much.

Our trip in and out was easy too...

...Lincoln Tunnel was clear.

“I love New York,” Kathy mentioned, “But it’s tiring.”

(She promptly fell asleep).

And I drove home.

Bruce’s stories ringing in my ears.

Prayers for Jeff in my heart.

And I giggled...

...thinking of the filthy pig pissing in the street.

(Ahhhh, New York).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie