Awful At Your Job

I have zero patience for people who are bad at their jobs.

It aggravates me to no end.

Years ago, I was bringing the boys home from North Collins. They were very young, and the car ride, in the snow, was very loud. I couldn’t focus on the road, and was worried about putting us all in the ditch.

“All right,” I said. “If you’re good, I’ll stop at the gas station and get you candy.”

The car was quiet once they put their order in, and I made the rest of the drive home in peace, and stopped at the gas station before making it home.

The girl behind the counter was on her cell phone. I had to wait for her, and when she finally gave me a little of her attention, she rang up the order wrong.

I kept looking at the kids, waiting in the car.

“Blah, blah, blah,” she continued with her phone call.

Her call was still going as I grabbed the bag and headed for the door. Then, I held the kids at bay, promising that they’d have their candy once we got home.

I was able to use the promise of that candy to get them into the house, and they were doing great.

When I opened the bag...

...one of the candy bars...

...wasn’t there.

So, one of three kids was screaming.

I had to return to the gas station.

Back out in the snow. I was seething. When I entered the place the girl was standing there, holding the candy bar up, smiling.

“Look what I forgot to put in the bag,” she said, in a sing-song voice.

“Listen,” I said. “Your job was to ring out my purchases, give me my change, and put what I bought into the bag, and while it doesn’t mean anything to you, I have a 3-year-old, screaming. He was going to get that candy for doing a good job, and instead of being happy, he’s home crying because you couldn’t be bothered to take the time to hang up your phone long enough to do what you were supposed to do.”

The girl stammered an apology, but I grabbed the candy and left without granting her forgiveness.

Couldn’t do it.

I tell you that entire, long, drawn-out story because until last night I believed that girl was the worst example I could come up with on someone who is ill-suited to do their job...

...but then I saw Betsy Devos on 60 Minutes.

She couldn’t answer a simple question about the educational system that she’s supposed to be heading.

I couldn’t understand why she’d even take the interview.

She was not prepared, she didn’t appear to have a plan, she didn’t know anything about any of it.

I was embarrassed of her, for her, and for the poor kids who are affected by her inaction.

Like the girl on the phone...

...Devos seems to have no idea what her inadequate performance means to those who are depending on her to do what she’s paid to do.

I don’t care what someone is tasked to do.

Do it!

Devos shouldn’t be in that job.

She’s had 14 months to formulate a plan.

She doesn’t appear interested.

She can’t even answer a question!

And the shame of it is that it’s a highly important position.

Oh well, at least the convenience store clerk has been replaced in my mind...

...we now have a person who’s worse at doing her job.

Devos has to go!

Too bad there’s no one willing to hold her accountable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie