Carrie’s Birthday!

It’s weird, but I know where I was when I secured my tickets for Springsteen on Broadway. I was teaching a class, and my hands were shaking as I put in the code. Once I hit the button to buy them, I was making my way back to the class when my text chimed.

“I got a ticket for John. Same night that you’re going,” Carrie wrote.

Now, understand that Carrie had already been to the show, and that it was a work day in the middle of the morning.

“He has to see this!”

And once she secured his ticket, I finally smiled.

That’s Carrot.

Selfless. Thinking of our lives while she battles hard in hers.

After the show, John was as happy as I’d ever seen him. I texted Carrie.

“You did a great thing getting that ticket.”

“I’m so happy for all of you,” she answered, immediately.

And it’s a battle knowing that Carrie lives about 800 miles away. We don’t see her or her beautiful kids enough.

Yet, she’s always there.

When I finished The Big D and put it out there...

...it wasn’t complete until Carrie (and my sis Corinne) read it. They’ve always been my best writing fans.

(They both loved it and gave me straight-up comments).

Yet, the Bruce ticket for John touched me.

I grew up knowing that I’d be venturing out into the world some day, but that there was a small group of people who shared that big house with me...

...who’d always be there.

And they are!

Happy Birthday, Carrot!

We love you!

Eat a lot, make a toast, and laugh your ass off...

...every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie