Bruce On Broadway 🎭

Things work out, I guess.

We had a lot of time to think about the Springsteen on Broadway Show as the drive in took a long time. We tried non-Bruce music for awhile, but when Boy George came on, I switched over to E-Street radio, and the trip down memory lane began.

“What are your favorite songs?” Kathy asked.

“Promised Land” immediately came to mind, but I also considered “Leah”, “One Step Up”, “Thunder  Road”.

Just too hard to narrow it down.

“How about best show you’ve seen?”

Fenway Park, Darien Lake, Mountain View Show, New Jersey Show...

... all came to mind.

I thought about seeing Bruce with all the members of my immediate family, and close friends, college pals.

I laughed.

“We played him non-stop in college,” I said. “The girls got really aggravated.”

Then we talked about Bruce and how he has interacted with his fans through the years.

Playing shows for disabled kids, eating dinner with an elderly couple when he goes to St. Louis, greeting fans on the street.

Then Clarence played the solo in “Jungleland”.

We talked about the deaths of Clarence and Danny.

Which led us straight to the loss in our own lives.

“He’s made my life better,” I said, at one point.

And the Springsteen Broadway Show is about Bruce taking stock...

...in his own life, career, and the relationship he had with his fans.

Our seats were in the 5th row, in a tiny theater. Bruce was less than 20’ away all night. He made is laugh, he made us cry...

...at one point I actually gasped and sobbed.

Kathy turned to look at me.

He’d been talking about losing his Dad...

...caught me off-guard.

Musically he was astounding...

...as a human being he was a thousand times better than astounding, and in the end he said:

“God Bless You for joining me on this journey.”

My brother John met us in the street across from the theater.

“Obama was there,” he said. “I shook his hand.”

It was that kind of night.

“What did it mean to you?” Kathy asked John later.

“Everything,” he said.

“Which part?”

“All of it.”

Exactly.

It was the most amazing night of entertainment I will ever see...

...unless he shows up in my living room some day.

“I’d go again tomorrow,” Kathy said.

Me too.

John three.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie