Creepy

There’s a social media site that advertises an ability to find out information about anyone, anywhere, and it’s accessible by just entering someone’s name and the state in which they live.

I entered my own name.

The site worked for a little while, but not terribly long and it flashed names of everyone in my family.

Then it flashed up a whole bunch of information related to social media news that I’ve made, including this blog.

“There’s a lot of information!” It said.

Okay.

Yet the site made a grand production of saying that they were scouring police records to see if I showed up there.

Nope!

Then it went on to possible financial records, travel information, even other locations where if lived or gone to school.

At this point, I knew it was all about an extensive report that they would try and sell to me. I had no intention of buying, but I let it play out.

The site teased about possible past relationships.

(Not many!)

It spoke of possible work experiences.

And that’s when it felt creepy to me.

Can someone enter someone else’s name to stalk them, blackmail them, or just plain harass?

Imagine that it happens.

By this time, it explained that the report of me was more than 60 pages.

Despite the fact that I write a daily blog. Even though I post comments on Facebook and Twitter, I do believe that I’m fairly private.

I allow people to see what I want them to see, but there’s not a whole lot to hide...

...and yet...

...the whole exercise seemed like a violation.

The cost of the report was about $75.

Again, I could have entered anyone’s name.

If I am willing to pay the fee (there’s also a higher fee to get reports on as many people as I want).

Big brother?

And I thought about some of the information not being accurate, or even purposely inflammatory.

Where are the checks and balances?

How does this site have clearance to just compile such a report without notifying the person being stalked...err...spied on?

Creepy.

Intrusive and troublesome.

This is the World we live in, I guess.

I don’t like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie