Played A Guitar Like Ringing A Bell

My Dad had Chuck Berry's greatest hits record.

He used to put in on every now and again and as little kids we laughed a lot at "My Ding A Ling."

But that wasn't my favorite.

I liked Johnny B. Goode.

It was just an exciting song.

It caught you; shook you; and hammered your senses.

I still have it on my I-pod along with two or three others.

He could play a guitar just like ringing a bell.

My Dad liked him better than Elvis.

So, I kinda' always had a soft spot in my heart for Chuck Berry. The Rolling Stones, my favorite band as a teen, played a whole bunch of Chuck's tunes.

There are a whole bunch of stories out there about Chuck being a rough guy to deal with. His personal life was rough.

Some of the guys who idolized him, talked of meeting him, and coming away less than thrilled with the interaction.

I thought of that immediately after hearing of his death, but I kept going back to my Dad, singing the song.

And laughing at 'My Ding-a-Ling."

He lived a good, long life.

Twitter was alive with tributes.

Bruce sent out a few nice words, so did Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronny Wood.

Elvis was the King, but Chuck Berry was the Big Daddy of them All.

His influence will last a good long time.

Even if he was a bit off-putting now and again.

RIP...

...Go Johnny Go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty