Love Changes

In a couple of months, we'll be celebrating twenty years of wedded bliss.

"We laugh beneath the covers and count the wrinkles and the grays."

There isn't a lot that is much of a surprise twenty years in.

"I knew you were going to say that," Kathy said the other night as we were watching a movie. "You're so predictable."

I suppose.

How can it not be a little predictable and a little redundant after 20 years, or 7,300 days?

Especially since I am a man of absolute routine.

I also reflect a lot as well.

Twenty years.

Has the love changed?

Of course it has!

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times with the same person," Mignon McLaughlin

"Do you have to go out of town?" My mother-in-law asked.

"Home all week," I said.

"That's good," she answered.

"Not if you ask my family," I said. "They enjoy when I'm gone."

"Pressure is off!" Kathy said as she walked by.

"I used to love when my husband was out of town for a week," my mother-in-law, who has been married about 60 years said.

Everyone laughed.

"Yep, that's what happens," I said. "Can't wait to get rid of me."

On Saturday night Kathy walked by, looking tired after being on her feet all day.

"Come on, let's go out," I said.

"You go out," she answered. "I'm not going anywhere."

I didn't want to go anywhere either, but I figured I'd aggravate a little.

"Come on, we'll go dancing."

"Find a girlfriend to take dancing," she said.

We laughed.

Things change.

Of course we'd go out on a Saturday 20 years ago.

(there still wasn't dancing on my part, though).

Yeah, there are days when you're kinda' thrilled that the other one isn't there. We were out west recently and when we arrived home Kathy said:

"All I want for tomorrow is to get away from you."

And that's how it goes.

Just working on a dream, right?

I do a little skit about marriage in my comedy act, saying that the priest should be required, by law, to lay it all on the line for a young couple.

He should turn to the groom and say:

"You like dish-pan hands? How do you feel about folding laundry?"

He should ask her:

"Do you enjoy listening to constant pissing and moaning?"

It's all part of the gig.

"What's your husband doing today?" I asked my mother-in-law.

"Watching television; sitting on his ass."

I laughed again.

The love has changed a lot of times for them.

The house is haunted and the ride gets rough...gotta' learn to live with what you can't rise above.

That's the secret to nearly 22,000 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty