Thought Drake's Was A Coffee Cake

During the week, we all have to get up early around Camp Clifford.

My beautiful wife works a shift that starts at 5 a.m. and I'm usually out of bed at various times in the middle of the night.

And I have never once had to chase one of my kids out of bed to face their responsibilities of work or school.

They get up and go.

But I appear to be the only one who is not pissed about it.

"You have way too much energy in the morning," Sam has said on many days.

Friday was a little bit strange.

Jake was up and dressed by the time I hit the stairs at six.

He looked wide awake too.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Drake's album dropped."

"The coffee cake guy?"

Jake missed it completely.

"And it's awesome," he said.

Drake appears to be the Springsteen of the youth.

Apparently they had been waiting some time for the album to drop.

"You got it already."

"It dropped at 2 a.m.,...couple of clicks," he said.

"Excellent," I said. "I'll have to grab it tonight."

Jake knew I was joking.

I wouldn't stop Drake for a conversation if he happened to deliver my mail to the house one day.

"Thanks," I'd say. "Have a nice day."

But Jake and Sam and Quinn and even dopey Matt were beyond excited.

"Greatest record ever made," Matt said as I broached the subject later on.

And then Jake swung by with some of the lyrics.

"I know you'd rather read the lyric than listen to the beats," he said.

Truthfully, he shows me a lot of rap lyrics...there are clever rhymes, but there are also obscure references, a tremendous amount of boasting, some clever curse words and it all seems too busy to me...

...but then Jake did make me listen to a bit of the "music."

Not an instrument being used...all created on a computer.

I try not to be disparaging because I enjoy the fact that they are listening, reading, singing along...something...music is a gift to all.

"Some of it is okay," I said.

Which was like my Dad, listening to Frank and Dino, tell me that there was merit to Pink Floyd.

But...

...when it is all said and done...

...I'd rather have the coffee cakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie