Beeps, Buzzes, Chimes & Bells

There was a day about 5 years ago when I left my phone at home.

I drove about an hour to an appointment before I knew that it was missing...

...and by the time I discovered my mistake...

...I couldn't go back.

I was on the road without my phone!

Dear Lord!!

I thought about that on Friday afternoon as my phone rang.

(It doesn't actually ring...instead it plays Street Fighting Man by the Stones).

But I answered it.

While I was talking to someone about a work-related problem I heard a buzz in the background.

Incoming text.

Then the damn thing buzzed again.

I took the phone away from my ear long enough to read a notification from ESPN about Adrian Beltre agreeing to a contract extension with the Texas Rangers.

Back to the call!

Another beep.

My beautiful wife trying to touch base.

The damn guy was trying to talk my ear off.

I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying.

Why would the Rangers extend Beltre? He's nearly 40!

Another buzz.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

An update from CNN on who the pollsters thought won the debate.

The original text buzzed again.

(Just in case I'd missed it!)

"You still there?" the guy actually talking asked.

"For a minute," I said. "Because I'm ready to roll down the window and throw this phone as far as I can."

"Yeah, what's going on?"

"Evidently someone flashed my number on a billboard because everyone has called me at once."

"I'll let you go." he said, finally.

I was pulled off to the side of the road.

When the call went dead I saw all the notifications.

2 texts, 4 emails, 2 notifications, 6 Facebook notices and 1 missed call.

I ignored them all.

I threw the phone on the floor of the passenger side.

I turned up the radio and drove to the next stop.

Thank God we are all able to stay connected.

Every second of every day.

Remember the days when you could get lost at the bar?

"Tell her I'm not here!"...

...would be called out every time the phone behind the bar would ring.

That's never gonna' happen again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie