Anti-Discrimination: Great Job, Bruce!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

What if people suddenly didn't think that pasta-eating, Yankees-loving, family men didn't deserve their rights?

I'd be in trouble.

I have chosen to live my life as a Yankees fan, as a pasta lover, and as a straight man with a wife and kids.

Do I do it because God told me that I can't be gay?

Or because I believe that God thought that Red Sox fans belong in hell?

Or because of one of the commandments that said 'Thou must eat linguine and clam sauce.'

No.

I lived my life as it naturally unfolded.

There are things I believe in that you don't.

There are things you believe in that I don't.

Laws should not be written that strip either of us of our rights.

Anti-discrimination.

There should not be laws on the books that strip the rights of Americans.

Right, gun owners?

But what is funny about it...is that some of those same people screaming about rights in that situation are quite comfortable stripping away the rights of people in the gay community.

God help you if you're one of those people.

Hypocrite is a word that can be easily looked up.

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band canceled a concert in North Carolina that was scheduled for Sunday.

I mention Bruce and all the members of the E-Street Band because anyone who are fans of them know exactly where their members stand.

Little Steven stood up for the rights of people in South Africa in the 80's.

Check the lyrics for Born in the U.S.A. sometime.

Listen to the Nebraska record.

Listen to the song Streets of Philadelphia.

Or 41 Shots.

Or the Ghost of Tom Joad.

Bruce stands up for what he believes in.

What he believes in more than anything else is the right of the individual to make a life for themselves in America free of discrimination and inequality.

I feel comfortable putting those words in Bruce's mouth because he has been singing them to me for the last 40 + years.

I read the words announcing the postponement.

I know that Bruce and the E-Street Band Members hated doing that.

But the point had to be made.

Bruce once famously closed a show by saying:

"No one wins unless everyone wins."

He stands for the rights of human beings.

Let the Bruce-bashing begin!

I've never been more proud of my one true hero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie