There’s Nothing On.

This is truly the golden age of television. We have about 5 series going and we’re well aware of when the next season of a new favorite is going to drop.

(That’s even the lingo that the kids use).

When we were kids if we missed an episode of a show we had to wait until the summer and pray that they play that rerun.

Thursday was a can’t miss night - Cheers, Wings - we had to be home for those shows.

Now?

I read about a possible show somewhere on Twitter and even if I only have one word in the title we can find it in 30 seconds through a search…

…and an entire season will be there.

Yet, on Saturday night, Kathy said:

“There’s nothing on.”

“How can there be nothing on? We have about 20,000 stations.”

And little did I know but we have to PAY for all those stations.

For instance, I came home and mentioned a show I’d heard about.

“What’s it on?”

“Hulu. Do we have that?”

“It expired.”

“Oh.”

“No big deal.”

A second later, my phone chimed.

A charge for $9.99 had been approved.

“Did I just sign up for Hulu?” I asked.

“We did,” Kathy said. “You paid for it.”

And there are comfort shows.

I always go to a good sitcom. Modern Family is a favorite of mine if no one else is around. I’ll also throw on Rizzoli and Isles.

Kathy goes to murder shows.

There may not be a murder in the country that she hasn’t heard about.

Anyway, I tried to explain television in the 70’s and 80’s to my boys.

“We had three stations that came in good. We could get a couple of fuzzy programs from Canada, but we all sat in one room and watched whatever Mom and Dad wanted to watch.”

“Why didn’t you go in your own room and watch what you wanted?” Sam asked.

“We didn’t have a television in our room,” I said. “There was one television.”

“That’s horrible!”

And I wonder what the future will hold…

…I look around when I’m on a plane.

People are watching movies on their I-pads or on their phones.

Guys sit on break and watch a show in the construction trailers.

Is it better?

Not quite sure, but one thing you seldom here these days:

“There’s nothing on!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie