John Lennon Documentary

For the first time ever, the entire story of the John Lennon murder is being told in a documentary.

The first episode was absolutely upsetting to me.

This was back in 1980.

I was only 16 years old when it happened, and I can recall the minute when I heard that Lennon had been killed.

It was just a normal morning. My sister had turned on the radio, as she’d done every morning, and we listened to music.

Harv Moore was the DJ on WPHD 103 who broke the news to me.

As I watched the first episode, I felt the same feeling of dread as I did back in 1980.

Lennon had always been my favorite Beatle. As time went on I learned to love all of them as talented writers and musicians, but to this day, John remains my favorite.

Why was he killed?

I still can’t understand it and it’s because I’m looking at real life through those evil eyes of Mark David Chapman.

The pain in the hearts of those being interviewed - 43 years later - is evident.

The cab drivers and the security guards broke into tears.

I go back to a discussion I had with a correctional officer who was a guard at Attica.

Chapman is serving his sentence there.

“He’s a peaceful guy,” the guard told me. “He’s made us breakfast. I’ve spoken to him.”

That conversation has played again and again in my mind. 

“Did he ever say anything about killing Lennon?” I asked.

“Nah. He won’t talk about it.”

Oh well.

You know what pisses me off?

All the genius we missed out on.

Lennon would’ve made records for the next three decades.

He was a voice that was important.

And that crazy bastard stripped us of it.

It still makes me sick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie