The Mad Rush

Friday was technically a work day…

…I didn’t come across, or speak to, anyone who wasn’t half-assing it.

My life is agenda driven. 

I wake up with a fully defined plan each day. I was a little out of sorts when I got out of bed because I couldn’t figure out quite what I wanted to do.

I thought about the food that we would be consuming at the get-togethers. I’d have to be gathering that.

There were a few stray gifts to get, and picking those is never much fun.

We are getting together today to celebrate Dad’s birthday which will also factor into our plans. Dad never wanted us to make a fuss over his birthday, but we always did.

Getting together and laughing a bit will add to the celebration.

But there’s the world to deal with during this time of year.

I spent a long time waiting to pull out into traffic at the end of my road - there was a steady line of cars. Too many damn people out!

I stood before a clerk at a store who seemed to me to be slightly brain-damaged. 

I gave her $10 to pay a $5.60 tab and she handed me $14.40 in change.

“This is too much,” I said, handing back the two fives she’d given me.

That absolutely blew her mind.

She got horribly agitated and was completely bewildered. She didn’t make a move to accept the money from me, and I sighed.

“The cost was $5.60. I gave you $10. You gave me change for a $20.”

“Wait. Wait. Wait,” she said. “Hang on a minute. How’d that happen?”

The line behind me was growing and the woman behind me sighed heavily.

“You shoulda’ just kept it,” the woman muttered under her breath.

“I need the key!” The woman called out.

There didn’t seem to be anyone else around. Then the best part:

The poor girl started slapping her forehead and saying:

“Stupid, stupid, stupid.”

What does one do when someone is doing such a thing?

Yeah.

I laughed.

“Relax,” I said. “It’s okay. Take a breath.”

Thankfully, someone appeared with a key and we started the whole damn thing over.

Seriously.

She canceled the order, and handed me the $10 back. After she rang up my items again, she accepted the ten from me and said:

“Okay. I owe you…

“Four dollars and forty cents,” I said.

She was so happy when she got it right.

“Have a very Merry Christmas,” she said. “I’m so sorry.”

“You did great,” I said. “Merry Christmas to you.”

The mad rush!

Enjoy it all.

Happy Birthday, Dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie