Safety First

Every year around this time an email goes out to invite all the safety professionals to a downtown Buffalo bar.

We have a couple of drinks, and swap stories about the days gone by.

The safest party anyone has ever gone to.

And it truly is a fun get-together because all the OSHA compliance officers are there as are safety directors from the biggest contractors and all the best consultants.

I worked for and with a whole bunch of guys in the room, and we laughed a lot talking about the cases where guys did epically stupid things, got busted by OSHA and then petitioned me to help them get the penalties reduced.

As I looked around the room, a whole lot of years seemed to melt away.

“Remember when,” is the lowest form of communication.

Tony Soprano said that in an episode and I don’t necessarily agree.

I think it’s healthy and often times hilarious to rehash the glory days.

What was particularly funny was that a couple of us were talking about a case from back in 1997.

“I wasn’t born yet,” one of the new safety guys said.

“And that’s why none of us listen to you when you make a suggestion,” I told him. “We’ve forgotten more than you know at this point.”

He laughed.

He also reminded me that he was still about 40 years away from retirement.

“Where you gonna’ be in 40 years?” He asked.

Touché.

When he walked away a guy who happens to be my age whispered:

“Piss-pot.”

“Perhaps,” I said. “But did we listen to the old guys when we were in our 20’s? Besides, I climbed a straight ladder about 30’ yesterday. It’s almost over.”

We clanked glasses.

Looked around the room.

“Here’s hoping his career turns out as good as ours have been.”

Indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie