Wedding Weekend

Our nephew on Kathy’s side of the family had a wedding party last night.

Tonight, our niece, on my side of the family will be getting married.

It’s a lot!

Two weddings? 

Back to back nights?

And, of course, the boys were all fired up. They were concerned about the half hour when the bar shut down for dinner.

I recall that it was an eternal wait when we were waiting for the light to go back on at the bar.

We were all so funny and wildly entertaining back when we were young.

I did have a drink. 

A big night!

Yet, a little while after dinner, with the music blasting, Kathy said:

“I’m ready to go.”

I just kept thinking, it’s their time now. To get their lives going. To take their children to little league baseball games and dance lessons and watch them grow.

More importantly, we were the ‘old people’ taking a look at the kids dancing wildly, telling loud jokes and laughing.

I shook hands with the groom - he’ll always be a kid to me as I met him before he reached ten years of age.

He’s now in his 30’s.

“Congrats,” I said. “Welcome to the club, you dumb bastard.”

He laughed.

“We get along great,” he said. “No worries.”

I laughed again.

“Clueless,” I said, as I turned to another long-married man - the groom’s Dad.

“Oh yeah, he’s screwed.”

And we raised a glass and toasted the future.

One more celebration to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie