Tim Wakefield

I’ve never hated a sports team more than the 2002-2010 Boston Red Sox.

The ‘02, 03 and especially the 04 teams were loathsome.

The beards, the filthy helmets, Ortiz, Manny, Pedro (throwing Zimmer to the ground), Varitek and the eternally hateful Curt (that was ketchup on his sock) Schilling.

Hated them!

Well, most of them.

I couldn’t hate Tim Wakefield, the knuckleball pitcher who was always a stand-up guy.

Wake was always thoughtful and considerate. He did an amazing job in the New England area as he was charitable beyond what he needed to do.

A good dude.

He also served up the gopher ball to Aaron Boone in extras that sent the Yankees to the ‘03 World Series (they lost because after battling Boston in the ALCS they had a letdown and lost to the Marlins who may not have hit a ball out of the infield during the entire series).

Anywhoha…

…my son, Jake sent me a text on Thursday:

“Tim Wakefield has brain cancer.”

I responded with an:

“Oh man!”

Turns out the Wakefield family wanted to keep it private but Schilling (who seemingly wants constant attention) sent a social media message about it.

Still.

I hoped that the news wasn’t dire.

It was.

At just 57 years old, Wakefield passed away yesterday and it hurt my heart.

Sports stars aren’t always great guys. They seem to be super human, but some are not the best the world has to offer.

Through the years I’ve been shocked when one of them passes.

Tim Horton back in the early 70’s. Lyman Bostock and Thurman Munson in the late 70’s.

Shocking.

A good pitcher and a really decent human being.

It should bug me a little…

…even though he was on the Sox.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie