October 14, 1976

My Dad was a rabid baseball fan. As was his father before him.

They were both Yankees fans for one reason:

They had the most Italian-Americans. Think DiMaggio, Berra, Rizzuto.

I never had a chance to be anything other than a Yankees fan.

I recall watching World Series games with Dad as early as 1970, and in the early 70’s the Yankees were in a bit of a slide. So we watched the Orioles with Frank and Brooks Robinson.

We watched the 1972, 1973 & 1974 Oakland A’s and we rooted for them in ‘72 & ‘74 because they had Sal Bando and Joe Rudi - Italian-Americans. We went with the Mets in ‘73 because Yogi Berra was the Mets manager.

In 1976, we were fully invested as the Yankees faced the Royals for the right to go to the World Series to face the mighty Reds.

It’s one of my favorite memories.

Me and Dad watched every single pitch of that five-game series, and Mom was giving Dad the evil eye for keeping me up to watch extra innings. 

The Yankees escaped the top of the 10th and I distinctly recall that we went over the batting order for the bottom of the inning.

“If Chambliss can get on they have Thurman and Pinella coming up,” I said.

It never got past Chambliss who hit it into the right field seats and set off absolute bedlam in the Bronx.

Poor Chambliss couldn’t even round the bases because Yankees fans stormed onto the field and surrounded him. I caught a video of it yesterday and all the feelings - Dad cheering, my excitement - came rushing back.

And that was when we started a tradition that we solidified over the next two years:

Dad made me a celebration sandwich. Salami and peppers and provolone.

I was 11 years old when I ate that sandwich. Dad was sitting across from me and we were going over the Reds lineup for the coming World Series. (That didn’t go so well as the Yankees were swept)

But that Chambliss homer is one of my favorite all-time moments and it wasn’t because I was a rabid Chambliss fan.

I was a Dad fan!

(Of course - this is an October 15th blog - and it is dedicated to my buddy Jeff Renaldo who is now - unbelievably - 60 years old!)

Happy Birthday, pal - I’ll have a salami sandwich in your honor).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie