Just Another Day

How long did you hang in on the mass shooting coverage?

I lasted about thirty seconds.

I don’t normally listen to Fox News - even by accident - but it was on in the place where I stopped for lunch.

“We need to really have a frank and open discussion about mental health,” the woman, talking head said. “Because it’s not the gun’s fault.”

That was enough.

Hate to break it to her, but the gun, in the hands of a former ‘good guy with a gun’ is certainly worthy of blame.

Buddy showed up to meet me for lunch - he glanced at the television.

“Eh,” he said.

“Right?” I asked.

“I feel lost saying that I can’t care about it anymore but what can be said?”

“We didn’t change anything when children were slaughtered at school - any of them - we won’t ever change anything.”

So, that’s about it.

We don’t need to hear that:

1). We can’t believe it happened here!

Or

2). The reporters have done a great job on a truly horrific story.

Or

3). Heidi and I have heavy hearts and we are fervently praying.

Or

4). Forks don’t make you fat.

Or

5). He was a troubled man. We should have helped him.

None of us need to hear that.

Ever again.

Maybe the answer is that we simply don’t even report the story at all.

Just another day here in the gun capital of the world.

Just the price we pay for freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie