Fundraising to Stay Alive

Mary Lou Retton is fighting for her life in ICU with a rare form of pneumonia.

You remember her, right?

Her face was on every television screen - little girl with a huge smile and a lot of talent.

She owned those Olympics. I remember her on a Wheaties box.

She didn’t have health insurance and had to get help through a Go-Fund me to pay her medical bills.

“America! What a country.”

Mary Lou isn’t a one off.

So many people in this country need help to stay out of the soup kitchen once they have a medical problem.

And what are the chances that you’re going to get through life without needing medical help?

We have insurance - pay a hell of a lot for it - we have to spend a lot of money on medical bills that aren’t fully covered.

Want to try a different medication?

Like the ones they advertise on television?

“Three-thousand a month.”

One of the pharmacists quoted that price to Kathy after a doc advised trying it.

“That’s double the cost of our mortgage!”

I simply cringe when I see someone on social media begging for money through a go-fund me.

You see something like:

“My mother has cancer and she can’t afford her treatments because her insurance won’t cover it.”

And I think back to the 1980’s when good jobs came with paid insurance, pension plans and livable wages.

Now a company introduces the new healthcare program and notes:

“You’re going to have to pay more.”

For less.

A former Olympian…

…not only fighting for her life…

…but without help…

…wouldn’t be able to pay her bill.

What the hell happened?

My guess?

Greed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie