So Many Emotions


There was a moment last night when I glanced out at the dance floor and saw my boys dancing with their dates and their cousins…

…when I felt an immense feeling of pride in having raised children who have grasped what it means to be close with their siblings and cousins.

They were jumping up and down and pointing to the sky, singing along with songs I’ve never heard.

I also felt nostalgic - remembering my brother’s wedding and how we had tore the place apart that night.

Those kids looked so much like us. That’s my nephew Rocco and my niece Paige in the photo with me.

“Come dance with me,” my nephew Rocco screamed in my ear.

“No.”

“Let’s get a drink! Have a drink with me!”

“No.”

“How about a photo?”

So, we took a few photos and talked about football. We laughed a lot, talking about his Dad, and then Rocco took off and met up with Johnny…

…and seeing the two of them, working together to pump up everyone around them, I was struck by the thought that I was watching a rerun of a classic comedy show that I’d helped produce 30 years ago.

Eventually, Rocco got me to the dance floor for ‘Super Freak’.

I didn’t dance much but I was right there in the center of the smiling faces.

That’s kinda’ what life is about.

The Stones song that I love off the new album has Mick singing:

“And when you think the party’s over

But it’s only just begun.

Raise a glass, get up and dance 

Because life is just, life is just

Hit and Run.”

It IS hit and run and days pass us by…

…but there are nights we hang onto.

And memories that stick…

…and somehow replay some 30 years down the line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie