Worn Down

I don’t do lethargic.

They gave me meds to control my blood sugar and I’m supposed to see how it works for a month or so before I get another check-up.

I feel lousy.

I’m all right when I first open my eyes, and then I take the med, and I get that malaise.

Which doesn’t work for me.

To top it off, I’m not eating much of anything at all because I’m kind of lost at what I should do.

But here’s the thing:

Everyone is seemingly on the same medication!

I talked to a buddy at work and he gave me some pointers:

He eats right through it!

“Instead of 3 pieces of pizza I eat two. Instead of 10 chicken wings I eat 5.”

Pizza? 

Chicken wings?

I’ve been eating nuts and berries.

And I wonder about the lack of sugar/carbs after having it in my diet for all my life.

Is that why I’m suddenly tired?

The thing about talking to that particular guy is that we had a friend in common who died of a sudden heart attack at just 52 years old.

“Half of me wants to say, ‘Screw it! Life is short’”, he said. “The other half of me knows that if I continue eating lousy and drinking beer like a college student that life will really be short.”

I laughed.

“Moderation,” he lectured.

I knew that.

“What about feeling tired?”

“Ah, you’ll get used to it.”

I’m thinking I don’t want to. 

Next blood test coming.

I’m studying hard so I can pass it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie