Peppers & Eggs

 


I spotted the sign on my way by.

Now, you have to understand that I’ve been eating like a bird. I was feeling a little lethargic late on Thursday morning.

The sign on the side of the place claimed that it was the “best pepper and egg” sandwich.

My mind played a trick.

I was part of the concrete crew in California. That morning I had complained to my Dad (who was the BIG, BIG boss on the massive project) about being starving because we’d start pouring at 6 a.m. and wouldn’t take a break until 2 p.m.

That morning around 10:00 I heard him call my name. There were 25 guys as part of the concrete pour, but he was the boss…

…I headed over.

He handed me a pepper and egg sandwich wrapped in tin foil.

“I can’t eat that,” I said. “None of the other guys have eaten either.”

“None of them are my son,” Dad said. “Hide behind the column and eat it.”

That was the best peppers and egg sandwich I ever had.

Pok-A-Dot didn’t have a chance!

But, let me tell you, they make the second best peppers and egg sandwich I ever had.

I ate it quickly in the parking lot.

The peppers were hot. The eggs were perfect.

“That needs a friend,” I thought.

I headed back in, and the woman behind the counter looked concerned.

“I’m not hear to complain,” I said. “I want another one.”

She laughed.

“Best peppers and egg sandwich ever, right?”

I told her about my Dad.

“Ah! Well, glad I made you think of him today.”

I’ll be back!

Pok-A-Dot in Batavia on Ellicott Street.

Tell them I sent you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie