Dr. Doom

Baseball is a marathon.

I’m beginning to dread April’s games because people who haven’t watched the sport through the winter are excited to see games…

…and man, they live and die with the losses.

When I was a kid, my Dad (who loved the Yankees) would always talk about what they weren’t good at.

“Their pitching stinks!”

“They need to rehire Billy.”

And even if they held a lead late in a game he’d say something like:

“I got a bad feeling.”

I often referred to him as Doctor Doom.

My mother-in-law was worse!

She was not a Yankees fan until my boys started rooting for them. Then she wanted them to win every game. By a lot!

If they lost back to back games she’d say:

“What’s wrong with your Yankees?”

The best was when they took Game 1 of the 2000 World Series over the Mets.

“They only won by one and it took them extra innings!”

Grandma wanted them to go 162-0 and win by at least 5 every night.

Now, I realize that every team in the league is going to win 55 games and lose 55 games.

There will be losses where the Yankees blow a 5 run lead. There will be a 19-2 loss mixed in there somewhere. Some dope will probably hit 3 homers in a game against them.

It happens!

Can’t get too up or too down.

Ride it out.

Stay even keel.

I bring it all up now because Twitter has millions of Dr. Dooms.

If a guy ground into a double play there are hundreds of people yelling:

“He sucks! Trade him now!!”

The Yankees have started all right.

Pitching looks good.

Guys who hit homers are hitting them.

A few other have gotten off to poor starts…

…that’s okay too!

No reason to blast someone into the sun just six games into the new year!

When the Yankees finished off the Mets in 2000 in 5 games to win their 4th in 5 years my mother-in-law wasn’t overly impressed.

“I’m still mad at the game they lost,” she said. “I wanted a sweep.”

Tough crowd!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie