A Wonderful Career

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Brad May had scored an overtime goal to win a playoff series for the Buffalo Sabres.

“May Day! May Day! May Day!” The Sabres terrific announcer, Rick Jeanneret screamed.

The guy who lived in the apartment above me was screaming and evidently jumping up and down.

So was I.

The goal was terrific and the call was exhilarating. RJ was the best in the business.

Now, my love for hockey has certainly waned in the last 10-15 years, but I heard all of RJ’s great calls because my sons absolutely love him too.

For 51 years, he’s been the voice of the Sabres and last night, he was honored at the arena.

He made a great speech that was funny and filled with emotion.

The man is an absolute legend and I hope that he enjoys a long, restful retirement because he brought a lot of joy to millions of fans through the years.

RJ was an unashamed homer.

If a Sabres laid out an opponent he would scream about the wonder hit.

If a Sabre got laid out he would scream, “And no penalty called!”

He had a million of great calls:

“La-la-la-la-La Fontaine!”

“Top shelf! Where Momma hides the cookies!!”

He was great at his job. Game after game. Day after day. Season after season. Year after year.

And that’s how you are appreciated in this life.

By bringing it.

Every day.

“He was great,” Jake said.

“He showed up to work,” I said. “He worked to be the best. You do that and you’ll eventually be honored for being great.”

Good for RJ.

Proud of the Sabres fans.

Those who were there…

…cheered hard for him…

…to thank him for all of us.

And then the Sabres went out and won the game.

Something they don’t always do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie