It’s All Gone!

My main thought on Friday was on hitting as many sites as I could before 1:07 p.m. when Cole would throw the first pitch to start the Yankees season.

I was up and out by 6:30 and covered a lot of ground. Even skipped lunch, or any sort of break.

I still didn’t make it back to the office in time and listened to the first inning on the radio.

Boston scored 3 and my heart sunk.

Didn’t want to hurry to watch that! But Rizzo hit a 2-run homer in the bottom of the first.

Perfect!

Was going to be a battle.

I made it home and went straight to my office. Turned the television on and…

…and nothing!

We had switched television providers.

“Where’s the YES Network?” I yelled.

“One minute,” Kathy said.

I put the radio on again.

Didn’t hear anything from downstairs.

“What channel is it?” I called down again.

“We don’t get it,” Kathy said.

I thought about the past 26 years.

When I met Kathy I was a man who played softball, rec league basketball, drank a bit, hung out with friends, ate with reckless abandon, and watched the Yankees.

“Everything is gone,” I said, as I headed for the main living room.

“What are you talking about?” Kathy asked.

“It took you awhile, but you took everything away.”

“Oh shut-up. I ordered it.”

“What channel?” I asked.

“It won’t be on today. We’ll have it tomorrow.”

So.

I listened to opening day.

And it was perfect, actually.

The Yankees won on a walk-off.

But, I gotta’ tell you, I was a tad sad there for a moment when I realized…

…everything I loved back then has been stripped away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie