“Wanna’ Have A Catch?”

The Yankees and White Sox are playing tonight in Iowa just miles away from the ‘Field of Dreams’ set where the ‘Build it and they will come’ line came from.

Should be pretty cool.

The players will walk out of the cornfield out onto the temporary stadium grass, and I’m sure Fox will totally destroy the feel of the game with their coverage, but who didn’t love that movie?

First off, I always think of my buddy, Jeff who built the best field in North Collins back in our softball days.

It was a perfect place for us to play and once he built it we came to play.

There wasn’t a stone on the infield and the sight lines were great.

I was truly elite on that field, but it is also where I tore my Achilles’ tendon and was the only field I was thrown out of. 

(Want to know read The Barking Lions!)

Great field!

And I also have always loved Kevin Costner flicks - he did baseball roles really well with Bull Durham and Eigbt Men Out.

(Was also exceptional in Tin Cup - my favorite golf movie).

The game was supposed to be played last year but Covid cancelled it and believe it or not half the Yankees will miss this years game because of Covid!

I heard Costner do an interview about it and Dan Patrick asked him about the “Wanna’ have a catch?’ Line.

Here in Western New York we would ask:

“Do you want to play catch?”

I’d never heard:

“Wanna’ have a catch?”

Costner explained that there are actually areas of the country where that is how one would ask that question.

He said that the original script line was “Do you want to play catch?” 

But he improvised.

And the rest is history.

The Yankees have been playing well (despite the short lineup) and I’ll certainly watch.

I’d even “Have a catch” with my boys before the game, but I can’t find my glove.

(They lost it on me).

Anywhoha…

I’ll be thinking of the field that my buddy built, and I’ll be watching the Yankees battle.

If Joe Buck is calling the game I’ll find John Sterling.

Go Yankees!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie