That Was Cool 😎

We switched over to Fox just before the Field of Dreams game started and we watched Kevin Costner kind of wander around the field looking lost, and he did a great job of selling the turn to see the Yankees and White Sox coming out of the corn.

🌽 

“That gave me chills,” Kathy said.

And the stadium and the old uniforms looked great. I especially liked the old-time scoreboard.

And I thought of how much I have truly loved baseball all my life.

It’s one of the great loves of my life along with family, reading, writing, Springsteen and pasta.

A lot of it has to do with my Dad too.

I remember the Mets-A’s in ‘73 World Series. Dad always rooted for the American League but Yogi was managing the Mets so we rooted for the Mets.

And then the ‘77 and ‘78 Yankees.

We talked baseball every day.

Vivid memories.

Sitting in the car and listening on the radio as Guidry struck out 18 Angels. The game wasn’t on and we could only get radio reception out of NYC if we sat in the car.

It was a great night.

As a Dad I have shared a lot of baseball memories with my boys.

Sam sat right beside me on the couch as Hidecki Matsui had one of the great World Series games ever.

We truly needed them to win that year.

So, I thought a lot about that.

Me telling the boys about Reggie and Thurman as my Dad told me about Mantle and Maris.

Baseball is beautiful 

And then…

…the worst possible thing happened…

…Joe Buck’s voice filled the room and he started in on how much the Yankees have been bad (horrible take, BTW - they’ve played great with 14 people on the IL)

And then the game started and the home plate ump started missing pitches high and away.

Wonder if they were yelling, “You’re missing a good game, blue,” back when Shoeless Joe Jackson played.

But it was cool.

Really cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie