Chippy the Magnificent!

Pretty damn tired today after playing golf on back-to-back days with my long-time central New York buddies.

We head out for two great courses in Binghamton and while it’s a long drive, it’s well worth it.

I got out of the car pretty stiff and my spikes were back home. It was also incredibly warm, and I was sweating profusely.

Hit some bad shots on the front 9, but my tee shot on 10 was great, and the day got interesting. 

I suddenly felt good, and that feeling lasted through a couple of post-round drinks, a whole lot of laughs, and a big bowl of pasta.

The 8 a.m. shotgun start came early, and I kept hitting the ball straight but I didn’t have a truly great moment until I was off the green about 25 yards, and needing a miracle to par it.

Thing is, last week, I golfed with a real golfer and he gave me a hint on how to chip.

I whispered what he told me, and then I actually did it. I saw the ball drop, and I cheered loudly.

The guys in my foursome were happy for me, but Paul said it first:

“Oh God! Now he’s never going to shut up about his greatness.”

As we lined up our tee shots on the next hole I said:

“Did you guys see my chip back there?”

Four holes later, I shanked my tee shot, but it stayed in the middle. Then I hit a shot about 30 yards.

“This game sucks,” I mentioned.

But there is always another shot coming. I lined up shot #3 and lectured myself about staying down so I could put the 130 yard shot on the green.

I pulled up and the ball skidded across the ground toward a creek bed of rocks.

It hit a rock and bounded straight up in the air.

When it landed I was on the edge of the green, just 80’ from the cup.

“Luckiest bastard I’ve ever seen,” Kip said.

“I planned that.”

Then I walked to my ball. I had Chippy in my hand. Chippy is a club that I’ve had since 1977.

I kissed him and said, “Let’s go.”

The ball was about 40’ away from the cup when Paul said:

“No effing way!”

It fell into the cup.

“NO!!!” Paul cried.

Of course, I was loud, telling everyone as we gathered for lunch.

Four hours after I returned home, I settled in and started sending out the texts.

“Hey! Did you guys hear that I chipped two in?”

Waited a little while:

“Has anyone, in the history of golf, ever made two better chip shots in a 5 hole span?”

I didn’t get a lot of answers.

“Chippy the magnificent!”

I have a busy day tomorrow…

…spreading the word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie