The Baltimore Orioles

The first World Series I remember watching was Baltimore against Pittsburgh in 1970.

Dad gathered us all round the screen and we rooted hard for the Orioles and especially Frank Robinson.

Now, full disclosure, my Dad was always a Yankees fan as was my Grandpa. 

All of us boys were also Yankees fans, even that early in  life, but Dad always rooted for the American League team in the series. 

(Unless St.Louis was in it, for some reason - he liked the Cardinals).

The only other time he rooted for off teams were if his favorite managers were involved: 

Martin, Berra or Pinella.

My Dad’s sister moved to the Baltimore area and suddenly the Yankees-Orioles banter went into overdrive.

I distinctly recall Dad saying:

“The Orioles are losing. It’s time to call Leonard.”

Then I lived in Baltimore for a year. I went to at least 50 games there through the years.

I love Camden Yards.

Which brings me to my point.

They’re 38-82 at present.

They’ve lost 100 games two years in a row. Unless they somehow win 25 of their next 42 games…

…it’ll be more than 300 losses in the last 3 full seasons.

They aren’t even slightly competitive.

They lose 10-1 or 8-0 nearly every night.

Their park is empty and their fans have deep hatred for the “rich” teams because they’ve somehow became convinced that they live in a “small” market.

Their payroll is 50% less than the money they receive in revenue sharing.

That “free” money is going into someone’s pocket.

Meanwhile, they’re an absolute embarrassment to the league.

Listen, the MLB system is not perfect, but it’s hard to cry about “not having a chance to compete” when Oakland and Tampa and Milwaukee and the Reds are all competing.

Every team in both leagues has made the playoffs recently…with the exception of Seattle who has never truly bottomed out as Baltimore is doing.

The Baltimore Orioles

I think of Jim Palmer and Brooks and Frank and Boog and Cal and Eddie Murray.

Know what my kids think of when they hear about the Orioles?

“Putrid!”

That’s what one son said.

“Pathetic.”

That’s what the other boy said.

I find it sad.

I can’t even bust my cousin’s about it because it’s a given.

They’re gonna’ lose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie