Two Big Rocks


I had a surprise trip into the Adirondacks on Thursday.

I woke up in Utica and plug in the address to a road job. The address took me to Route 8 into a little town that was on the water. The sun was shining and the water beside the winding road was giving me beautiful glances at every turn.

The homes along the water were worn down and there were all sorts of broken down vehicles littering what should have been lawn. There were a lot of signs protesting the NY Safe Act and plenty of Keep America Great signs.

I sent a text to my client to let him know that the crew wasn’t at the address he sent to me. Moments later, my phone vibrated.

“Text not sent.”

There were no bars.

“No service.”

I drove back a little ways and found that I had service again. I resent the text.

“Yeah, I was trying to get ahold of you. They aren’t there. That’s just where their phone service stopped. They’re 25 miles further in.”

So, I moved along down Route 8.

Man, it was pretty.

Trees, shimmering water, hills, animals scattering about.

There are no gas stations or Wal-Marts or restaurants.

Then I pulled up at a light and snapped the photo because of the two rocks in that photo.

How long have they been there?

How long would they stay right there?

Hundreds of years?

And I was just passing through.

It was just an odd moment in a strange window of time. There weren’t any thoughts of the virus. The world will survive. Those rocks will stay right there, surrounded by beauty.

Unless we destroy it.

That’s the thing:

We’re the enemies of the beauty of the world.

I stopped the car beside a stream. It was simply a breathtaking view. So breathtaking in fact that I forgot to snap any photos.

I just stood there, breathing in the clean air, listening to the power of the running water as the black rocks shimmered in the bed.

“Beautiful.”

I got back into my car and continued to drive.

Passed a home that had a bunch of handwritten signs posted in the front yard.

“OBUMMER LIED!”

“PELOSIR DIDN’T HAVE EVIDENCE!”

“GOD AND TRUMP 2020!!”

“REPEL THE SAFE ACT!!”

All the signs...lined up...one by one.

In the middle of all that beauty.

Thought about those rocks again, and how they’ll sit in that spot for the next hundred years...

...not caring one lick about our stupidity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie