Home of the Brave????

The weekend was everything an American weekend can be.

I saw people engaged in cook-outs and pool parties and walking boardwalks and sitting in bars and having fun in groups of ten, twenty, fifty and two hundred.

And it made me a little woozy because it will exact a price.

A virus spreads. That’s just a fact. The virus we are dealing with appears to be highly contagious and the price so far is more than 100,000 dead citizens.

We will exceed the 250,000 dead in the model that was a high end guess because why?

Why?

I can’t help but think it’s because we didn’t have the stomach to sacrifice for the greater good.

And I’m not looking for a debate. I don’t need to hear about people who die in car crashes or abortions or suicides from sitting in your apartment.

I understand that the world couldn’t stop forever, and as a matter of fact, I was out there all through this, and I didn’t enjoy much of it.

But I understood the facts, and I took all the precautions, hoping that it would be minimized.

I haven’t been within 6 feet of anyone without a mask except for a handful of people. Those people live here.

Yet, it’s not about me. Never was. I believed it was something that needed to be done for the greater good.

Thing is, somewhere along the way, people lost their stomach for the greater good and made a decision that whatever amount of people dead because of this was going to have to be good enough...

...because they were being inconvenienced.

I’d be willing to bet that every single person in America knows at least 3-5 people who would die if they got this disease.

The vulnerable.

The elderly.

Those battling disease.

Sick kids.

People with poor health or eating habits.

Yet we still love those people, don’t we?

I have at least 5 that come instantly to mind and at nearly 56 years old and fighting my own hip, leg, back issues for years, I’m not convinced I’d beat it.

But we failed.

We couldn’t do it!

Home of the brave?

We just passed Memorial Day.

We remained free because of those who sacrificed mightily for the greater good.

We couldn’t go without a pool party. We ignored social distancing and the use of masks and all sorts of common sense responses to this because...

...because?...

...we couldn’t be bothered to care about those who might be in a position to die of this.

Cowards.

Selfish cowards.

As the cases spike off of the weekend frolicking think of those in position to get really sick, or die because of this and ask one question of yourself.

Was it worth it?

Facts don’t lie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie