One Death

The death projections are being bandied about.

Trump talks numbers as if they’re poker chips he’s discussing.

“I used to say 50,000 or 60,000. Now I’m thinking it’ll be 90,000 or 100,000.”

Later in the day, there were grim predictions floating about.

3,000 a day in June.

Every day of June.

I keep thinking about my buddy who lost his Mom to the virus.

“Yeah, she was 80, but I wasn’t ready to lose her,” he said.

That’s going on all over the country.

One death takes a little piece from about a hundred people.

That’s why I don’t understand how leaders are being so fast and loose with life.

“Americans are going to have to make a sacrifice so we can maintain our economy,” one genius said.

Sacrifice?

By dying???

So we are good with losing the most vulnerable? The poor? Minorities?

I just don’t know what I’m seeing and hearing here.

We all good with this?

We’re bored with the virus, so we aren’t going to try anymore?

Just suck it up?

Years ago I heard a creed of sorts:

“Nobody wins unless everybody wins.”

Make no mistake, we are all really losing here, and I’m not sure what the answer is, but leaving thousands and thousands and thousands by the wayside doesn’t seem to be option 1.

Pretending that you saved a million people after 100,000 die is classless too.

Last week they were projecting that the death total would be 74,000 by August.

We’re at or near or over 70,000 right now!

Three thousand were lost on 9/11.

We lost that many yesterday. Will lose that many today and that many tomorrow.

Other countries aren’t having this problem...

...some in our society are okay with it.

“Nothing we can do!”

What will the new number be?

So far 70,000 deaths. 100 people at least are deeply hurt. So that’s 700,000 hurting Americans.

“We’re doing a spectacular job.” - Donald Trump

“This is a great success story.” - Jared Kushner

Maybe I’m just an idiot...

...but I’m not quite so excited by the news.

Nobody wins.

Might as well try and make a little money, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie