Big Trouble

Was getting a coffee at a 7/11 when a couple of middle-aged men walked in.

“You need a mask!” The clerk behind the counter shouted.

One guy removed a bandana from his back pocket and covered his mouth and nose. The other guy walked towards the clerk.

“Explain it to me,” he said. “Why would I wear a mask?”

“Because you have to or your have to leave,” she said. “There’s a sign on the door.”

“You aren’t getting me,” he said. “What’s the purpose of it?”

The clerk was seething.

“I don’t have time for your shit,” she yelled. “Put it on or get out!”

She may have added a couple of other words.

“You’re a scared, stupid bitch!” The guy yelled as he left.

I was shaking my head in disgust as I stepped up. “Sorry about that,” I said.

“Ah, it’s happening all day long.”

I’ve been out each day...

...I saw more masks on Monday than I saw on Friday...

...by a lot.

Finally, yesterday, someone said it to me.

“Take the mask off,” a business owner said. “Don’t tell me you’re buying into this bullshit. It’s all bullshit. Don’t be a chicken shit.”

I didn’t really answer him.

Just walked away.

As I drove off I realized that the masks are coming off, and they won’t be going back on unless we hit about 500,000 deaths.

America is done complying.

Of course, the masks will still be worn in some places where they’re mandatory to get in, but no way will they be worn in any place where someone thinks they can get away without one.

The CDC projection in mid-April was for a total of 74,000 dead Americans by August 1.

Three weeks later, we’re nearing 80,000.

The Buffalo News is profiling two people each day who died of the virus from our own neighborhood. Yesterday it was a 54-year-old man and a 64-year-old woman.

“It’s all bullshit. Don’t be a chickenshit.”

I’m wearing a mask.

How much more proof do people need?

August?

There will be about 150,000 lost by then.

So, so sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie