Happy Mother’s Day!

Every once in awhile I’ll get a text:

“Where’s Mom? I need her to text me back.”

Normally I’ll just turn to Kathy and say, “Pick up your phone. One of your little Cubs needs to speak to you.”

Sometimes I’ll take a run at it.

“What do you need?” I’ll ask.

“Mom.”

These kids are all at or near their twenties.

They need Mom as much as they did when they first arrived!

And I’m not a substitute.

“Get Mom!”

And it’s a love that I have been privy to all of my life...

...since I arrived.

I used to sit right next to my Mom in the large configuration of our dinner table. I felt protected right there at her right hand.

I miss seeing her right now.

It’s awful!

We talk a few times a week and she’s confused by the virus and she’s afraid. For the first time ever, I’m trying to calm her fears a little.

Like Kathy, my Mom is tough, and she’s still so worried about her kids.

“Stay home,” she said to me on Friday when we talked.

“I’m working,”I said, “but I’m careful.”

This Mother’s Day also stinks because it’s the first we have crossed without my mother-in-law.

She was another tough, absolutely loving, great lady, and it’s weird, but I was in a grocery store near her home last week.

I just thought of her...

...a random thought on a normal day...

...and I felt a numbing, crushing sense of loss.

It struck me, right there, in the bread aisle...

...”Damn, I miss her.”

Moms have that sort of impact.

It’s weird, but celebrate them today.

They deserve all the accolades.

Comments

Unknown said…
Great tribute! You say it so well!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie