Western Stars

Springsteen put out 3 songs over the last month.

I loved all of them, but Tucson Train was my clear favorite.

The record was finally released on Jake’s Birthday, late in the day.

I was coming off a trip from Kansas that included a three-hour delay which left me in Chicago for like 5 hours. Wandering around a jam-packed airport isn’t fun.

But Bruce was waiting for me on Friday morning, tired or not.

The first listen was to just hear how they sounded.

The second listen got me to the words.

Moonlight Motel jumped out at me.

By the time I knew all the words, I was hooked.

It’s absolutely beautiful, brilliant and mind-numbingly stunning.

The Motel was once an amazing place...

...it’s decayed in the present day.

The hero of the song is thinking back in time...

...to the girl he once took to the Motel.

Their love is no more.

The Motel pool is empty with dandelions growing up through the concrete.

He recalls a half-drunk beer with her breath in his ear.

Everything breaks down.

We’re left with the memories.

I always kinda’ laugh when people say that Bruce can’t sing. He has so many different voices.

He sings this one with a twinge of sadness, but in the end, he pulls a bottle of Jack and pours one for him, one for her, and one for the parking lot of the busted up, beat down Motel.

Over and over and over again.

I listened.

Googled the words and read them.

The bones of the song come in the one line that she said to him back in the day:

“It’s better to have loved.”

The song can be studied!

I kept thinking that...

...it’s that brilliant!

So, you know where I’ll be...

...breaking it all down...

...listening over and over and over again.

Seriously, stop what you’re doing...

...find the song.

Think about it in the context of your days, weeks and months.

It’s that great.

Despite the break down, even though there’s considerable heartbreak, and plenty of regret...

...it’s better to have loved.

I’m not even doing it justice.

I’m still too blown away by it.

Yeah.

I kinda’ love it!

Comments

@TheNedTheFed said…
Great review. The lines that have been resonating the most for me so far are the opening and closing lines of the title track, Western Stars

“I wake up in the morning, just glad my boots are on
Instead of empty in the whispering grasses
Down the Five at Forest Lawn”

“I woke up this morning just, glad my boots were on”
Cliff Fazzolari said…
It’s a concept record and that’s the concept, right? Keep moving forward, through the decay and despair. Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie