D-Day - Normandy

Seventy-Five Years.

It was traumatic to look at some of the photos.

So many lives lost before they even got started.

I read an interview with a 92-year old man.

He was 17.

Said that he didn’t know what he was doing. He’d hear the approach of the coming bombs and they’d all hide from the shrapnel.

At 17 years old!

And it’s hard to dispute that it was the greatest generation. One that was willing to sacrifice their lives for the sake of the country.

For freedom.

Seventy-five years later?

You wonder, don’t you?

The country is very divided, and I’m not quite sure that so many men would head over to possibly give their lives in the defense of anything.

Maybe I’m wrong.

We did see some sense of unity after 9/11.

It dissipated.

Yet, for me, I don’t romanticize death much. I know the history. I can’t truly comprehend such bravery, but all of those men deserve to be honored and praised.

I’ve read all about D-Day, of course. The story of the Allied Forces at Omaha Beach, and how it was all the beginning of the end of a horrific war.

The war to end all wars?

Let’s hope so.

It was a picture-perfect morning on Thursday as I got ready for work.

The beauty and peacefulness of the water and the bright blue sky at Normandy was in direct contrast to the bloody battle all those years ago...

...and suddenly there was a 21-gun salute...

...and then a massive flyover.

I thought of the old men in those chairs.

Remembering.

All those men died that day.

But freedom lived.

Freedom lived.

I’d imagine that some of those men who died that day would be a little ashamed of some of what has happened lately...

...freedom lived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie