Happy Father’s Day!!!

There are still too many days when I think about grabbing the phone and calling my Dad.

Just goofy little things, you know?

Like a baseball game, or something that happens with the kids.

I just miss those little things.

The big things?

I carry them with me every day.

His work ethic, his sense of humor, his passion for family, love and friends.

I think of him every time I cook.

I hear his voice in my ear as I cut up the onions and garlic.

Day after day, night after night...

...he’s right here.

But it’s not the same.

Dad was great at making each kid feel special. He’d send me a letter with a little money in it.

I do that with the boys...

...hand them some cash when they least expect it.

“You’re doing okay.”

Three words that are important for a son to hear from a Dad.

On Saturday afternoon, I put the Bruce song on, and broke it down for Jake and Sam.

I stopped it at the important parts, explained the writing and the symbolism.

We just went over it for a little while.

The thing about life is that there are moments that stick.

Little conversations.

Shared laughter.

I have a lot of those moments that are packed away, and they wait for me to recall them.

Like this one...

...just for Father’s Day.

I was in tenth grade.

“Let’s go,” Dad said, shaking me awake. “Time for school.”

He did that each and every day.

I got up.

Joined him at the kitchen table.

“Damn, I’m tired.”

My cereal was on the table...

...Dad was shuffling the cards.

He smiled.

“What?” I asked.

I poured the cereal, and ate.

He was still smiling.

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked.

“You look tired.”

I checked the clock.

Ten minutes after four.

This time he laughed.

“Why?” I asked.

“I just wanted some company.”

“You had five other kids! Why me?”

Dad laughed again.

“It was your turn.”

I remember crawling back into bed.

I was livid, but I was laughing too.

40 years have passed.

Happy Father’s Day!

Make a memory or two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie