Happy Birthday to My Boy Jake!

What a ride!

From the moment he emerged he’s amazed me. I recall seeing his little feet first, and knowing that I had living proof that God played a part.

And he was defiant from that day forward.

He hated me!

It was Kathy or my mother-in-law for him. If I approached, he wailed.

So, I tried to stay clear.

I remember a Saturday morning when I wanted to let Kathy sleep in. Jake was going nuts.

I got him in the bouncy chair and settled in a few inches away. I was scared out of my mind.

He reached out and cuffed the coffee cup out of my hand, and all over him. I screamed. He screamed and Kathy didn’t sleep in.

Yet, the coffee wasn’t hot.

But it made me so fearful.

Of anything bad happening to him!

Then he got sick and that sense of fear went to the thousandth power.

Now?

Jake is twenty-two today.

Healthy.

Smart.

Funny as hell.

We trade examples of great writing in songs and on shows.

We talk sports, and life.

And I’d do anything for him.

But the fear still sits there.

I want to keep the world from hurting him.

Ever!

But life does what life does.

But so does love.

The love is stronger than the fear.

(That’s a good example of writing, buddy).

So, Happy Birthday to Jake.

We love you.

We’re proud of you.

Keep going, kid.

I won’t dump coffee on you ever again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie