David Ortiz Shot!

Went to sleep at the usual time on Sunday night, and then my teenage dog needed a drink of water.

I picked up my phone to check the time and saw a news alert.

“David Ortiz, former Red Sox great, shot!”

Even with sleep threatening me, I had to read it.

To make sure that the guy I hated seeing come to the plate...

...was okay.

Back about 17 years ago, in the height of Yankees-Red Sox mania my boss came through!

He got me 4 tickets for Yankees-Red Sox at the Stadium. We were in the front row too, directly across from Giambi at first.

Unbelievable seats!

Before the game, Jeter came over and pulled the cap down over Matt’s eyes after rubbing his head.

Then David Ortiz came out.

With a huge smile in place, Big Papi signed every ball for every kid. Matt, was dressed like the Yankees ball boy and was afraid to look at Ortiz because he knew I wasn’t a fan.

Ortiz stopped in front of both of us and looked down at Matt.

“Want me to sign?” He asked.

Matt looked at me.

(I was also wearing a lot of Yankees gear).

“Yes!” I said.

“I don’t have anything,” Matt said to Ortiz.

Ortiz smiled again, reached down and grabbed a ball from the field, borrowed a Sharpie from another kid and signed a ball for a grinning Matt.

“Ah, geez! Now I can’t hate you,” I said to Ortiz and he laughed hard.

The guy was an amazing hitter.

He may have taken steroids, but they all did then.

I certainly was worried about him last night!

Before long, I learned that he was expected to make a full recovery.

I saw the idiot who shot him.

Senseless.

Hopefully justice prevails.

Glad the big guy is okay.

Too

Many

Damn

Guns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie