“He Struck Him Out!”

My kids have no idea.

I’ve been following the Yankees, religiously, for most of my life.

“What time are the Yankees on?” Has been a question that I’ve asked myself, every day, for decades.

About 175 games a year (with playoffs) over the last 47 years.

I don’t watch them all, but I always know the score.

There are very few games that I can recall almost in their entirety.

On June 17, 1978, Ron Guidry struck out 18 in a 4-hit, complete game shut-out of the Angels.

The reason I remember it so vividly is because we couldn’t get the game!

It was only on the radio...

...the station was coming to us on the AM-band out of New York. Scooter was on the call.

And what I remember best?

Finding my Dad that evening.

“Dad, Guidry has 8 strikeouts. In the 4th inning!”

Dad joined me at the kitchen table to listen. We were spinning a dead dial. Scooter was in and out.

We tried foil on the antenna.

Caught another inning.

Gator was up to 11 K’s.

“I got an idea,” Dad said.

We went and sat in the car.

It came in a whole lot better.

“HE STRUCK HIM OUT!”

41 years later I can hear Dad’s laugh.

My Mom came home from Bingo as we sat in the car.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“Listening to the game.”

15, 16, 17, 18 Strikeouts.

The Gator!

And I have a real soft spot in my heart for Ron Guidry...

...I have a feeling it has more to do with Dad.

HOLY COW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie