We Deserved It

At our Thanksgiving meal...

...another amazing spread provided by Jim....

...My Mom was talking to me, Jim, John and Corinne about some of our escapades.

“I went in to talk to one of your teachers right at the start of the year because she gave one of you an assigned seat on the first day. She said, “you’re a Fuzzy. You have to sit in the front.”

Mom was getting angry just talking about it again. (That was Jim).

“Then there was the time your father went down to the school because one of the teachers hit one of you on the head with a book. (That was John).

The tone in Mom’s voice was one of a protector. She didn’t want any of her children wrongly targeted.

“I’m gonna’ fill you in on something,” I said. “We deserved all of it.”

Mom laughed.

“Seriously, we were all wise-asses. We should have been in the front row because we were always in the middle of the trouble.”

Corinne tried to get me to admit to something.

“Did you ever skip school?”

“Nope.”

“Ever get detention?”

“Once. I went to Burger King after an early release. Had lunch with Al’s Mom and got busted by the driver’s ed car. We were supposed to go right back to school.”

“Ever been arrested?”

“Nope.”

We both looked at Jim, and laughed.

“Have you?” Mom asked him.

“You mean today?” Jim asked.

And then we went into a whole bunch of the stories.

Bar stories..

...car stories...

...school troubles.

“Like I said, ‘we deserved it all.’”

Mom laughed.

She enjoyed all of it.

I asked her a question that I’ve asked her before.

“Did it ever dawn on you that a few of your children are a little bit off?”

“We were too,” she said.

True enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie