Veterans Day

The numbers of men who sacrificed their own life for the good of the country is staggering. From World War I on through Vietnam and all of the Middle Eastern conflicts...

...just staggering.

Many of those who lost their lives didn’t even get to really live one...

....they were just kids.

There are even more who were severely injured, both mentally and physically.

And fundamentally, I’ve always wondered about whether or not conflict could be handled in another manner.

Is war and fighting a necessary evil?

That’s my disconnect, and I have received some feedback from some who are a bit more gung-ho about conflict resolution through battle, who have explained that I’m hopelessly naive and that war is a last resort, but certainly necessary to maintain peace.

And maybe that is indeed true.

I appreciate all the men and women who paid the price.

I think about the Mom’s and Dad’s who go to sleep worried about the fate of children who are far away.

My heart aches for those who have lost a loved one, or the men who are captured, and tortured.

I’m ashamed of the country because we have certainly turned our backs on those who fought, returned and were forgotten.

They are left with baggage.

They are broke.

Can’t get care.

That’s shameful.

So, you see, it’s a difficult day for a lot of people, and it should merely be a celebration of the brave men and women who battled for freedom.

I pray that no one ever has to die for the country’s peace...

...and I don’t feel naive or stupid for wishing that.

Maybe someday war won’t be a game that’s played by the powerful for financial gain.

Because one lost life is too many.

Happy Veterans Day to the brave.

And we pray for the souls of those who paid the ultimate price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie