The Match

Tiger Woods is a magnet.

People just seem to want to watch him play golf...

...so they designed a match - Tiger versus Phil...for $9 million dollars...

...loser gets nothing.

It was supposed to be a pay-per-view event and I didn’t buy it, but I saw on Twitter that Phil was up one.

And then I stumbled across the feed that was showing it for free.

(Something went wrong with how they were collecting money...so they gave it away).

Good for me because it was a lot of fun.

First off, they hit shots that I will not manage in this lifetime. Routinely they drive the ball over 300 yards. They chip out of the sand with precision. They putt it close every time.

Yet, they are also human.

Tiger missed a putt that should’ve won it on 18.

Phil missed 3 straight chances to win it.

On hole 22, Tiger knew he had to make the birdie and he left it short.

“Can you imagine having a 5’ putt for $9 million?” I asked my beautiful wife.

“Would you make it?” She asked.

“I could. I wouldn’t. I choke.”

I immediately thought of a putt from this year. I had put my drive to within about 3’ on a par. Just had to make an easy shot for the birdie and a skin.

Wasn’t even a question.

Left it a foot short!

Here’s the thing:

It’s lonely at that moment. The other guys in the foursome are usually your friends, but they’re rooting against you.

“Ahh, that’s a shame!”

And it’s a horrible feeling.

After missing those. I usually pull the ball back and take the shot again, and with the pressure off...

...it goes right in.

$9 million...

...I don’t think you can practice NOT being nervous with that much on the line.

My skin would’ve been worth $25!

By the end of it, I was rooting for Phil.

His last shot was about 5’.

He made it.

Can you imagine that feeling???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie