I Don’t Do Details

Jake has been looking for a car for some time now.

When you’re 21 years old, it kind of dominates your thoughts. I recall being in that part of life and wanting things to go faster.

Yet, my beautiful wife was on the front line of that particular endeavor and when she’s around...

...things tend to slow down.

Her motto is “Why do it today if you can put it off until tomorrow?”

But, I decided to help Jake.

“We go Saturday morning,” I said. “But you better be ready because I nap on Saturday by 1:00.”

(They all know that the office is closed from 1-3).

He was ready.

We headed straight in to the dealership and met with a couple of guys I know.

Ten minutes later we were sitting in a car driving down the road.

Jake liked it. I liked it. The salesman loved that he was only 12 minutes into it and was selling a car.

“Here’s the thing,” I said. “I don’t do details. We’ll take it, but we’re done. I’ll come back to sign things if I have to, but other than that, you’re dealing with my wife.”

The guy tried to discuss price.

I stopped him.

“You’re scaring me a little by bringing in Kathy,” he said. “Is she that bad?”

“It takes her an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes,” I said. “But you’ll enjoy her companionship.”

“The human rain delay,” Jake chimed in.

The guy laughed.

I was home by 1:00, nestled with Melky for the two best hours of the week.

That night, Kathy checked out the paperwork. She started making suggestions. I was done with it.

“Do what you need to do,” I said. “Just get it all done on Monday.”

I listened to some of the scheming.

Mentioned to Jake that he was on his way.

By Sunday night I said, “Just let me know I I have to meet you there.”

“Oh,” she said. “We aren’t doing that.”

I nearly fell off my chair.

“I got a deal on a different car. We’ve decided to go in another direction.”

She provided the overview.

Jake seemed good with it.

Details.

I don’t need them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie