The Night Before Thanksgiving

For some reason I can recall the night before Thanksgiving more than I can actually remember the Holiday meal.

There was the stop at the Fox’s Den one afternoon when my first drink was a Bloody Mary. I was with my sister and a couple of her friends.

I’m not sure how many Bloody Mary’s I drank that night...

...but it was more than 5.

Then there were the nights when I hung with my college roommates. We were packed to go to our homes.

“Want a beer before we go?” My roomie George asked.

“One,” I said.

He came back from the bar with beer number two.

“I said one!” I said.

“One each,” he said.

We never moved our cars that night...

...ended up back in our rooms...

...left for home on Thanksgiving morning.

(Mom wasn’t thrilled with that move).

They say that the night before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest nights of the year for hanging in a bar.

It’s been a lot of years since I pulled off that particular maneuver.

I just know that I did a lot of eating just to sop up some of the beer.

These days, Thanksgiving is a day to hang out with most of the family...

...Jim does the heavy lifting, for sure, and he’s an exceptional cook...

...but the highlight remains Mom’s stuffing.

“I have to get going on the dressing,” Mom said, on Sunday.

“Yeah, you do.”

And it’s funny, but the other day on Twitter, Henry Winkler posted about how he was dreaming about the turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving night.

“Wonder bread, turkey and mayo!” He said.

“Not me,” I answered. “Wonder bread, dressing and mustard.”

The guy who narrates Dateline, Josh Mankowitz answered:

“Bread and dressing? Bread is dressing! I gotta’ do it!”

So, there it is...

...went from beers with friends to food talk with celebrities!

Nothing better than a dressing sandwich!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie