Time

Saw an old photo (1955) of Frank Sinatra and Sophia Loren.

Two beautiful, talented people in the prime of their lives.

Frank has been gone for a long time.

And it saddened me.

In my real life I ran into an old buddy. He’s about 25 years older than me, and when I saw him my mind played that old trick. I was back in 1991. I was just 26 then and he was just starting his 50’s.

As I shook his hand last week, I thought:

“Damn, he’s an old man.”

And there’s nowhere better to see the toll that time takes when you try and view life through the eyes of your children. I can feel their frustration as they try and piece their lives together.

The pages are blank. They know that they should have time to do something, have a home, a family, dreams.

Time has a way of getting behind you quickly.

I went from 26 to nearly 54 in what amounts to a wink of an eye. I’ll go from 54 to “damn, he’s old, quickly.”

And I suppose it’s in how you look at it. I have a great friend who just turned 60.

“Did you feel weird knowing you’re 60?” I asked.

“Nope, not at all,” he answered...

...and he’s a sunshine sort of guy who still looks like he’s 40.

Yet, when there’s less days left in front of the horse than what’s in back of the cart...

...it can be depressing if you dwell on it.

“You have to take care of yourself,” I lectured one buddy with a love of beer and fried things.

“We all have to go someday,” he answered.

“Yeah, but you don’t have to push up the expiration date.”

I bring all of this up because Bruce is celebrating his 69th birthday today, and while he’s also in great shape...

...Sinatra was too.

We get limited time to make a mark, dream and make those dreams come true, but hopefully there is a day out there, way off in the future...

...long after we’re gone...

...when someone left behind thinks:

“Damn, He was a good dude.”

In the end, that’s the mark we make.

Happy Birthday, Bruce...

...do like Mick and Keith and sign a 10-year deal for new music well into your 70’s.

Make that mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie